Apr 29, 2013 — Online Training Software
What is SCORM?
You always hear about LMS systems including a SCORM feature or being SCORM compliant, and sure, that’s great. But what exactly is SCORM or what does it mean to be SCORM compliant? And what opportunities does this open up for you and your business?
SCORM stands for Shareable Content Object Reference Model. It is a set of technical standards for presenting content on eLearning platforms and Learning Management Systems (LMS). SCORM is not a standard that is universally required by businesses.
SCORM compliance doesn’t provide any guarantee that content will be of better quality; but simply assures the content author that they can easily move the content from one SCORM compliant system to another – without losing functionality.
These are just a few of the great benefits of using SCORM Content:
- Accessibility: Locate and access instructional components from one remote location and deliver them to many other locations.
- Adaptability: Tailor instruction to individual and organizational needs.
- Affordability: Increase efficiency and productivity by reducing the time and costs involved in delivering instruction.
- Durability: Withstand technology evolution and changes without costly redesign, reconfiguration or recoding.
- Interoperability: Take instructional components developed in one location with one set of tools or platform and use them in another location with a different set of tools or platform.
- Reusability: Incorporate instructional components in multiple applications and contexts.
If you are looking for SCORM tools to help you build your online course material, we have some great ones on our resources page.
Questions? We’re here to help. Reach us at 877-321-2451 or go online today.