Eye Protection Safety Training in the Workforce
This online eye protection safety training course will teach employees the basics of eye protection on the job, including identifying the potential work areas and activities that could cause injury to your eyes and understanding how to prevent those injuries. Also covered are the use, maintenance, and inspection of protective eye wear as well as the use of appropriate first aid for emergencies while at work.
Why “Eye Protection Safety Training in the Workplace” Matters:
- According to Prevent Blindness America, a national nonprofit organization, each day of the calendar year results in another 2,000 workers suffering a serious eye injury. Annually, about 100,000 of these eye injuries result in temporary or permanent vision loss.
- Approximately 62,000 of those eye injuries are severe enough that the injured worker misses at least one day of work.
- According to some experts, eye protection can reduce the number and severity of eye injuries in 90 percent of accidents.
- Occupational safety experts say that probably 90 percent of all workplace eye injuries can be prevented.
- Obey all warning signs requiring eye protection.
- Always put on protective eyewear before entering an area where hazards may be present.
- When there is doubt about the existence of eye hazards, assume they are present.
- Make sure eye protection fits properly and comfortably.
- Inspect protective eyewear for damage before each use, and replace it immediately if there is any defect.
- Store eye protection safely where it won’t get scratched or damaged, and keep it clean.
- If you’re not sure which type of eye protection is required in a particular situation, ask your supervisor before you begin to work.
Duration: 24 minutes