Handling Difficult Conversations
It could be addressing someone’s behavior or work performance, breaking the news about redundancies, turning someone down for promotion or trying to get a long-term absentee back to work. Whatever the issue at stake, being able to approach these kinds of difficult conversations constructively is a crucial skill for managers. A positive outcome can mean the difference between an employee becoming more engaged and productive, or getting increasingly dissatisfied, going absent or even making a grievance claim.
This course uses powerful original drama and insight from leading workplace mediation experts to look at difficult conversations in a new light and demonstrate how to achieve the outcome you want.
This course will give a better understanding of:
- the most common mistakes we make when having a difficult conversation and how to avoid them
- effective preparation for a difficult conversation
- the importance of listening
- key communication skills
- how to stay calm and defuse the situation
- how to get to the root of the problem
- how to negotiate and agree a way forward.
Duration: 45 minutes