This training presentation will explain how you can help ensure that we follow legal hiring practices when we hire new employees. At the end of the training session, you will be able to identify requirements of fair employment laws, follow the organization’s EEO policy, evaluate job applicants based on job-related criteria, and conduct all phases of the hiring process to avoid discrimination.
Why “Hiring Legally” Matters
- Hiring decisions are among the most important decisions made in our organization.
- Good hiring practices can eliminate or reduce many legal risks, reduce costs, increase productivity, and improve morale.
- Ill-advised hiring decisions, on the other hand, can result in high turnover, duplication of training, missed opportunities, and lost customers.
- Furthermore, an ill-advised hiring might well necessitate a subsequent termination, and every termination—no matter how justifiable and well documented—exposes the organization to risk of a wrongful termination or discrimination claim from the disgruntled former employee. For all these reasons, it pays to follow the right procedures to find the right person for the job the first time around.
- Fair employment laws prohibit discrimination in hiring.
- Our policy reflects a strong commitment to equal employment opportunity.
- Evaluate solely on job-related criteria.
- Focus on hiring the most qualified person.
Duration: 23 minutes